I spent a good part of Saturday cleaning up this code, messing with v.3 and doing some experimentation.
I wanted to make sure it would actually work for the game I originally started designing it for, so I dropped it into Score! and gave it a shot. Overall I am very happy with how it works. It seems the scale of some things needs to change (so that you are sprinting just a bit farther than you are now), but that has always been in mind.
Last week I saw this post on reddit about using ramps for vertical travel in roomscale VR and it got me thinking.
Rather than building up an environment, I dropped it into the UFPS CleanScene example scene and quickly learned the following:
- Running around a flat environment is good
- Running straight up a hill is good
- Running up a hill while turning is VERY BAD
- Running down a hill while looking straightforward is ok
- Running down a hill while looking down or up or turning is VERY BAD
Later on Sunday I also did a little experimentation with NewtonVR for a fun little orbital game I am working on, but without hand controllers it wasn't going to go very far so that's on the backburner for now.